Any license issues with DMD programs compiled for Mac OS X?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Feb 20 23:39:36 PST 2006

Tony wrote:

> I noticed that the Gnu D Compiler is (predictably) covered under the GPL.

It uses large parts of gcc and g++, so this is something of a necessity.

DMD (the frontend) is under a "Dual" license of both GPL and Artistic,
while GDC (the adapation of the frontend to GCC) is under the GPL only.

> While I realise that the license of the compiler itself shouldn't affect the
> license of the code it produces, are there any other issues which might
> force your compiled D code to be covered under the GPL?  Or under any
> license other than what the author chooses?
>
> For example, might it add some GPLed library functions to the runtime (thus
> make your code a derived work and forcing the adoption of a GPL license?)

The Phobos library is zlib/png license*, and the C runtime under LGPL,
so there should be no such GPL issues... Then again, I am not a lawyer.

But it shouldn't be different from using say C or C++, on Mac OS X ?

--anders

* for the most part, see
   http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?PhobosLicenseIssues