Auto syntax revisited

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 20 23:58:21 PST 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Fredrik Olsson wrote:

> My point still being; that we should not be so focused on how the
> technical bits like how and where the object is allocated (on stack or
> heap), but how it should be handled (local to scope or not). If the spec
> does not specify how things should be done, then the implementation is
> more free to choose what is best for every case, even if the cases may
> vary as even more new features are added later on (Hopefully without
> more syntax revisions).
>
> regards
> // Fredrik

I want to focus on the point.  I have to strongly disagree, this sort of
thing is what affects ABI's.  If there's a desire to support more than one
D compiler, this sort of thing can't be left ambiguous as it would make
cross compiler compatibility a nightmare.  A .o/.a/.so generated via dmd
would have to successfully link with objects/archives/shared libraries
created via other compilers.  That means they'd have to behave the same
with respect to anything that leaks out of a compilation unit.

Aspects of this discussion might stay local enough to remain unspecified,
if semantics leak outside of a single function, then it needs to be well
defined.

Later,
Brad