What CPU does DMD optimize for?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Feb 22 02:59:54 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:

>>This question remains unanswered. I assume 386 and higher, but is it
>>correct? It is important to mark my apps to the end user as "needs 386 or
>>higher" or whatever.
>
> Yes, it's 386 or higher.

>>>Pentium 6
>>
>>This is an unusual term, for me at least. If, for example, we refer to
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_1 then which processor is the one
>>you mean exactly?
>
> Pentium Pro.

In case anyone wonders, the equivalent flags for GDC are:

Old style:
   -march=i386 -mcpu=i686

New style:
   -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4

(as used by RPM, which builds as .i386.rpm by default even
though usually a Pentium or better is required in practice)

Where:
   i586 == pentium
   i686 == pentiumpro

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.0.2/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html