Get rid of bit and bit[] ?

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Feb 23 19:49:52 PST 2006

Kevin Bealer wrote:

> But I think 80% of user complaints are driven not by real design motivations,
> but by the "surprise" principle:  "Why doesn't it work the way I guessed it
> would?"

There's something to be said for predictability.  It doesn't have to be
a slippery slope :-)

> This principle makes perfect sense at the high level (web page) but not at the
> hardware level.  Software can be beautiful, but not "too beautiful for this
> world".  If D gets the low level stuff right, it *has* to have ugly parts that
> are fast a la C rather than pretty parts that are slow al la Java, in at least a
> few, unremovable cases.
>
> Is "bit" or "bool" one of these?

I don't think so.  I find that the inability to address array-stored
bits causes me more trouble than is worth the benefits.  Particularly
considering that an equivalent library class could be created which
provides similar performance characteristics.

Sean