Intel Based Macs and DMD?

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:33:11 PST 2006

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> John Reimer wrote:
>
>> I have a Darwin 8.01 virtual machine installed in my vmware
>> workstation, but I'm not sure how to get DMD in there and tested.  I
>> don't know how to get the linux compatibility layer installed and set
>> up either.
>
> Would you care for downloading GDC and give it a whirl on Darwin 8/X86 ?
>
> I'm pretty curious if it works, since it's crosscompiled and untested...
> (it shouldn't link to any Mac OS X-specific libraries, as far as I know)
>
> --anders

I know you asked me to do this before.  But this isn't so easy.

Darwin boots in the virtual machine, but I don't really know much more
on how to use it:  I don't know how to get more packages; I don't know
if I need more packages; I don't know how to download them into the
Darwin console (no X server on this one).  Furthermore I'm on dialup, so
src packages are typically huge and slow to download for me.  Absolutely
no fun there.

All this takes a fair bit of time and research.  At the moment, I'm not
sure if I want to go to the trouble of trying all this with a system I'm
unfamiliar with. I've got a number of other priorities over this one.

If you had access to an intel machine (not a mac), you could just get
the vmplayer and try it yourself, no?

-JJR