Intel Based Macs and DMD?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Feb 24 11:43:48 PST 2006

John Reimer wrote:

> I know you asked me to do this before.  But this isn't so easy.
>
> Darwin boots in the virtual machine, but I don't really know much more
> on how to use it:  I don't know how to get more packages; I don't know
> if I need more packages; I don't know how to download them into the
> Darwin console (no X server on this one).  Furthermore I'm on dialup, so
> src packages are typically huge and slow to download for me.  Absolutely
> no fun there.

Ah, OK. I thought you had it up and running and on broadband. Sorry.

Also remembered that I didn't do a ZIP for the Universal, just a DMG.
(DMG and PKG are propriatary formats, so they only work on Mac OS X)

> All this takes a fair bit of time and research.  At the moment, I'm not
> sure if I want to go to the trouble of trying all this with a system I'm
> unfamiliar with. I've got a number of other priorities over this one.

I don't blame you at all, just figured if it was a 5 minute thing...

There are plenty of Intel Macs now, so you don't need to bother.
If no-one else has one, I'll just have to go to the Apple Store :-)

> If you had access to an intel machine (not a mac), you could just get
> the vmplayer and try it yourself, no?

I do have an Intel machine again since a while back, but for reasons
such as the ones you give above I haven't gotten Darwin 8 to run yet.

Oh well, if this takes off I just have to get a real Intel Mac...

--anders