IDE

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Fri Feb 24 18:03:54 PST 2006

One Wise Monkee wrote:
> In article <dtihv7$2vtm$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, David Rasmussen says...
>
>>Are there IDEs out there that support D natively?
>>Are there IDEs out there that even come with D preinstalled?
>>Is there a debugger for D? And a profiler?
>>Is there an IDE that comes with D, a debugger for D and a profiler for D?
>
> http://lwn.net/2000/0914/a/lt-debugger.php3

Heh, I read the article, and found myself agreeing with every point in it.

Kernel work is such a serious thing that the faint should be gotten rid
of as fast as possible. And the bit about not having a debugger forces
you to think what the _program_ does vs. what a single line of code
does, was just succinctly said.

At the end I found it signed Linus. I was proud to have agreed on the
points, and I was ashamed to not having noticed the author's name right
at the top.

---

Now, D is IMHO an excellent First Language. And some people really seem
to find debuggers useful. Personally I never use them, because I find
myself distracted and concentrating on the debugger instead of thinking
of the problem.

With D, let folks have debuggers if they want. But to become a real
programmer, one should learn to bike without the baby wheels.

Then again, not everybody should even try to become a Real Programmer.
Even the VB crowd can find jobs suitable for them. In the future, also in D.