Intel Based Macs and DMD?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Feb 26 03:50:46 PST 2006

John Reimer wrote:

> If you had access to an intel machine (not a mac), you could just get
> the vmplayer and try it yourself, no?

Thanks for this suggestion! This "VMWare Player" is really nice with
premade images, might even consider getting VMWare Workstation now...
(still using Virtual PC, I'm afraid, which didn't want to run Darwin)

However, new Darwin 8 is *much* less polished than what Darwin 7 was.
This is probably because OpenDarwin has run into some "troubles"...
(see the recent story http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200602/apple.html)

I'm just going to quote some starter commands here, rest is off-topic:
ifconfig en1 192.168.13.100
route add default 192.168.13.2
echo 'nameserver 192.168.13.2' > /etc/resolv.conf

So I see why you had problems with it, I can't even get DNS to work!
(above *should* do the trick, but only works with dig - not curl ?)
But playing with the /etc/hosts file, I at least got DarwinPorts up.

DarwinPorts is at http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/, it has X11:
http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/downloads/DarwinPorts-1.2.tar.gz
port -d selfupdate && port install xorg

Setting up the rest of Darwin/X86 is not really interesting here,
so I will just post later on if I get GDC 0.17 tried out on it...
But it won't really be useful for any Mac OS X testing, it seems.

--anders