DMD 0.148 - regular expressions

Tom Tom_member at pathlink.com
Sun Feb 26 05:42:22 PST 2006

In article <dts7qi$18b0$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Ivan Senji says...

>Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>

>>>The match expressions are gone. Based on the feedback, people didn't want
>>>D to adopt perl'ish notation or implicitly defined variables. Instead,
>>>foreach statements now allow implicit typing of the key/value
>>>declarations, and the if statement now can declare a variable for the
>>>result (an adaptation of Ben Hinkle's idea).
>>

>> I liked the idea (match expressions), just not the operator, and I thought
>> that was a common opinion...
>
>Me too (except I even liked the operator) :)

There was a common opinion but on the opposed. I felt the same as Walter about
match expressions in the NG.

My own thought about match expressions is that they introduce TOO MUCH lib
functionality (common only for certain types of apps), making D *very*
overloaded (think about future writers of the compiler). The most of the people
felt that introducing match expressions really introduces NO NEW functionality.
Rather it just saves you the time of writing "import std.regexp;" (i guess). And
also they introduced more complexity than needed and new bugs to fix. Match
expressions was a luxury that D couldn't afford as D has many other
*really-prior-and-crucial* things to work out if it want's to become 1.0.

JMHO

Tom;