Library linking

Jeremy Jeremy_member at pathlink.com
Mon Feb 27 15:56:11 PST 2006

Hi all!

I've been lurking this forum for a little while -- and I'm really interested in
D. I love C/C++, but I want something a little more modern -- but I don't want
to do the whole 'VM' C# and Java -- and I really don't like how they force OO
for everything...

Anyway, the thing that usually gets me with new languages etc. is linking in all
the extra tools I want to use (DLL's, .a's, .lib's etc.)

Can there be something as simple as 'importlib (<type>) "<filename>"' in the
code? Say:

importlib (dll) "alleg40.dll";
importlib (a) "libusb.a";

I know the "extern (C) <function>" already exists.. but you have to do this for
every function in the library... I wish I could just have an 'importlib' that
would grab all the function names and parameters (and a nice IDE could pick it
up for code completion) :)

Maybe this is a pipe dream, or maybe it already is implemented and I haven't
found it yet... but I loved how in VB you could just 'check a box' and magically
you could use the library in your code, and it would link on compile. (Maybe
this would be a job of a nice IDE?)

Anyway, I'm watching the D project very closely! Keep up the good work!

- Jeremy