DMD 0.148 - scope guard

Kevin Bealer Kevin_member at pathlink.com
Tue Feb 28 21:38:28 PST 2006

In article <dtsgcf$1i3q$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Hasan Aljudy says...

>Thomas Kuehne wrote:
>
>Still, what is it? I've been there before .. didn't quite get it. Why is
>it so popular?!

It's technology and scientific news and covers a lot of 'nerd' interest stuff;
it's highly configurable if you have an account.

Every article has free-form user comments and discussion, which means you not
only see the news article, but can pick up dozens of links to related info, get
opinions on both sides, etc.  (Many of the participants are highly uninformed,
but that is hard to avoid on the web...)

It's news, discussion, conversation, and a sort of "commonwealth" community, and
each discussion is anchored off of a "real" news article, book review, or
writeup, usually somewhere else.  In this way its like a mixture of newsgroup
discussions, journalism, and wiki-like community authoring.

Like almost all human communities, the appeal is determined mostly by the types
of people that exist there (i.e. prisons versus country clubs versus rock
concerts).  So its probably very grating if you don't like techie/trekkie/IT
types.

[But it's starting to look commonplace now because everyone copied them.  Every
revolution is unthinkable beforehand and obvious afterwards...]

Kevin