Idea: Put Phobos, DMD, and the spec under version control (Subversion)

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Sat Jul 1 09:35:08 PDT 2006

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> Here's an idea. Would it be useful to put Phobos, DMD, and the D spec
> doc under a version control system such as subversion (with Walter still
> maintaining the sole control over the code) ?
>
> This idea occurred to me because it might be useful for:
>
> A) Keeping track of, and managing changes for those who maintain Phobos
> replacements (like Ares, Mango) or add-ons (like Trevor Pascal's
> stream.d fix:

Having Phobos in a version control system wouldn't do anything for me
(or for Ares).  It's just as easy for me to diff a new release against
the previous release and handle changes that way.  This is particularly
true of the last 20 versions or so, as the bulk of changes that I care
about have been in the compiler code itself--the compiler runtime and GC
code have been relatively stable.

> B) Keeping track of documentation fixes? For instance, Kris complained
> recently about a change that seemed to happen without warning, and at an
> undetermined point in time. Docs under version control might help that.

Aye, they might.  I haven't been bothering to diff the docs between
releases either, but it might be useful for issues like this.  It still
wouldn't be very difficult to sort out though--just a matter of
extracting old DMD zipfiles and sifting through the data.

> D) Helping Walter in his own development?

Personally, I would be shocked if Walter didn't use a version control
system internally.  I use one even for hobby projects that I keep to myself.

Sean