C++

Lucas Goss lgoss007 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 12:39:05 PDT 2006

Deewiant wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> I've become convinced that the "default everything to const" method seems
>> ideal, but this seems like something that should really be done before 1.0 if
>> it's going to happen?
>>
>> Sean
>
> I agree. Walter posted somewhere in comp.lang.c++.moderated (I think it was
> there) that he thinks he should have made D like this from the start, but that
> it's too late now. With that, I disagree. We're not at 1.0 yet: it's not too
> late to break even every single line of D code out there.

I thought I've seen in this newsgroup a while back that Walter would
make changes to the language that would break previous versions, because
he didn't want it to end up like c++ (ugly patches instead of fixing
things correctly and breaking compatibility)? To me that is a big plus
in a language, that the author is willing to break things for the good
of the language. And D hasn't even hit version 1.0 yet, so I don't see a
problem at all.

Also I did sort of agree with snk_kid on one point... I don't understand
why D uses "~" for adding words together instead of "+". It seems like
all the other languages I use all use + for adding words. Adding makes
sense for words...

I added on to what he said.
I added some words to his sentence.
If you add these two phrases together...

Is there any benefit to having a separate symbol for adding (ok,
concatenating)? If not feel free to break the language here too.

Lucas