why

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Tue Jul 4 02:35:42 PDT 2006

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 17:58:59 +1000, Bruno Medeiros
> <brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> Derek Parnell wrote:
>>> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:31:32 -0600, Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>>>  I finally got it to issue the message, and it has nothing to do with
>>> any of
>>> the suggestions so far.
>>>  I create the file "c:\temp\main.d" that contained a single line
>>> void main(){}
>>>  I then set my current directory to C:\
>>>  and this is the result I got ...
>>> ===================
>>> C:\>type c:\temp\main.d
>>> void main(){}
>>> C:\>dmd main.d
>>> main.d: module main cannot read file 'main.d'
>>>  C:\>
>>>  ================
>>
>> Why create the c:\temp\main.d file? The error happens anywhere, with
>> any module, just by typing "dmd foobar.d" where foobar.d doesn't exist.
>
> Because I was doing many variations and I want to be complete, okay!?
> Once one knows what triggers the problem, one doesn't have to do all the
> dead-ends but I needed to show that the existance of the file SOMEWHERE
> in the system didn't influence the outcome.
>
> --Derek Parnell
> Melbourne, Australia

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset. It's just that it seemed clear that a
file that is totally unknown to DMD (it's name or variations thereof
don't appear on the command line, source code, config files, or anywhere
else) couldn't possibly affect DMD's outcome.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student