How useful is D

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Tue Jul 4 23:36:29 PDT 2006

Personally, I don't do a lot of GUI programming.  If I do an interface,
it's usually on the web, not in an application - primarily because I'm
in the web industry.

So, I've never honestly seen GUI as anything that could be a show
stopper.  Mostly I remember back in the good old days of MS-DOS, I would
work on my own font drawing, widget handling, and video primitives.
With D, I would just use already-written libraries for most of that.

D is very useful on the server side, and also on the client side.  Not
everything is a GUI application.

Anyway, it is impractical to distribute software that uses a
non-standard port and expect it to work on shared hosts as you say; this
isn't a problem for most of what I do, but I have dealt with it in the
past.  You can write CGI executables in D, of course, but also sapi
modules.  Those wouldn't work on shared hosts either, though.

D really isn't a competitor to web languages like PHP and ASP.NET,
though, you're right about that.

Still, what do you think FTP servers are written in?  Arabic?  Things
like that are where D especially shines, because of its better string
handling.  All the different protocols are handled with lots of text....
programming a server in D is so much cleaner and simpler.

But again, you can still use it on both server and client sides.

On the server side, I've used it for audio file processing (on a website
where you design your own ringtone; scripted languages couldn't do the
processing at any reasonable speed), for service monitoring, and for
daemons (e.g. basic chat servers, where persistent connections are
significantly better than HTTP.)

On the client side, I've done less, but I've written a few command line
tools for my own usage.  You can write shell extensions in D, for
example (Windows.)  Or what some would write as shell scripts (Linux.)
Drivers might be written in D, too, although I've not done that.

Still, for writing GUI apps, D isn't yet in a good place, you're right.
  But, there are toolkits available and you can always use libraries
available in C.

Also; why should there be a single GUI toolkit?  Do you also wish that
there was a single phone company?

I use D mostly during my free time and for my convenience at work.
However, I have written software for clients in D that was used in their
backend.  I've also bid out several requests that would require some
heavier lifting than slower languages can usually managed, but those
clients have - so far - not gone through with it.

Thanks,
-[Unknown]