How useful is D

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Wed Jul 5 08:32:35 PDT 2006

Lars E. wrote:
> The language itself seems to be very interesting. Unfortunately, there
> does not seem to be a single complete and stable GUI toolkit, which is a
> real show stopper - since I can only imagine using D for small GUI
> client apps on the desktop right now (where it beats Java and C# easily
> since it compiles directly to native code and links everything in
> statically - no giant framework download required).
>
> On the server side, it is impratical to not use Apache or IIS to host
> your applications, since most firewalls block anything but port 80, and
> most servers also host web content.

Well, that's kind of a 'Internetwork-centric' statement <g>

> So if you cannot use it on the server side nor on the client side, what
> is it useful for?

There are a lot of things that can be done on the server that you don't
even need a port for :) Also, there is probably room for a few more
implementations of things like SMTP/POP/NNTP servers and the like for
which D is very well suited. Not to mention things like database
engines, etc.

Initially though, I see D as becoming a fast running and fast
development alternative to Perl and Ruby scripts that you wouldn't
normally use C for (because of C's lack of the built-in's that D has).