Historical language survey

Rod Haper rhaper at houston.rr.com
Fri Jul 7 10:15:35 PDT 2006

kris wrote:
> Just for fun, how many folks here have hands-on experience with any of
> the following languages?
>
> Algol
> Pascal
> BCPL
> Ada
> Modula
> Simula

ALGOL
Pascal
Ada

I was fortunate enough to learn ALGOL-60 as my first programming
language back in '66 running on a Burroughs B5500.  I say fortunate
because it instilled in me good block structured programming concepts
from the beginning.  I still have my old copy of McCracken's "A Guide to
ALGOL Programming".  It was - and still is - a beautiful language for
it's day.  I never got to use ALGOL-68

Now, next to D and Python, Ada is my favorite language.  And yes Ada is
still very much alive and kicking and has a new revision - Ada2005.

--
Rod