Historical language survey

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Jul 7 15:18:04 PDT 2006

Dave wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Peter C. Chapin wrote:

>>> I'm not sure how "historical" Ada is... there is currently an active
>>> community of Ada users. In any case, I use Ada a fair amount. In
>>> fact, as I write this I have some Ada code that I'm working on open
>>> in another window.
>>
>> For whatever reason, Ada doesn't seem to be a terribly popular
>> language for everyday programming.  It has a lot of nice features
>> though, and I've always been somewhat interested in finding the time
>> to play with it a bit.  In many respects it seems like a stricter
>> version of D.
>>

> Isn't Ada still used (required?) for a lot of Dept. of Defense software
> in the U.S.?

I believe Ada was designed on a DoD contract, so it's not surprising
that it's used quite a bit in the military.  More generally however, Ada
seems be the language of choice for systems that simply cannot fail, be
they railway switches, supertanker engine systems, etc.  However, I was
surprised to hear that C/C++ is making inroads in these areas--probably
because so many more people know C/C++ than Ada.

Sean