If D becomes a failure, what's the key reason, do you think?

David Medlock noone at nowhere.com
Fri Jul 7 16:01:31 PDT 2006

"c) Are passed allocated objects, which they are *NOT* allowed to
manipulate."

These are called interfaces, and are quite do-able in D.

"d) Allocate and return objects/data that shouldn't be manipulated by
the user."

Such as what?  Nothing in D stops the two cases above.

kris wrote:

> David Medlock wrote:
>
>> No offenses intended, this is bordering
>> on an obsession.
>

> No offence intended, but your zip is down
>
> <g>
>
>> With garbage collection, I just don't see the HUGE benefits of const....
>

> And "640KB of RAM should be enough for anyone"

Not having const is not a limitation- its a semantic addition.  Whether
its a feature depends on what you are trying to do.

> What does "HUGE" mean to you, anyway? Perhaps you'd care to spell out
> those benefits you know of, so we can perhaps quantify your use of that
> adjective?

HUGE meaning my workflow/productivity increased.  The computers work for
us, not the other way around.  If it doesn't make me write programs
faster or better, it isn't a feature.

The advantages always boil down to one of:
1. Multithreaded code - does not help unless you get rid of pointers and
delegates!
2. Performance   - much better potential than const in this area.
3. Ref counting  - popular in the 80s....pretty much proven useless for
85 percent of real tasks, and its not thread safe.

Anything outside of those things...?

I know it has uses, but so does anything else.  The difference is
whether the cost of acquiring it justifies it(C++ const I mean).

-DavidM