import concerns (was Re: Historical language survey)

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sat Jul 8 01:55:09 PDT 2006

Derek Parnell wrote:
> I'm sorry Walter but I don't give newt's fart about C++. If I wanted to
> code under the rules of C++, I'd use C++. You have changed (improved)
> many of the C++ rules in D, so why not get this one right too?

I agree that D exists to fix broken rules in C++, but we need to
understand the rationale for why they are the way they are in C++, else
we run the risk of making a severe error. I don't recall why the access
rules are the way they are in C++, but I do know they weren't don't that
way for backwards compatibility.