If D becomes a failure, what's the key reason, do you think?

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Sat Jul 8 04:28:00 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Kyle Furlong wrote:
>> *Standing Ovation*
>
> Yeah, that's concerned me as well. But it isn't just me trying to make
> it perfect, everyone's got their favorite bug/feature that must get in
> before 1.0.
>
> So what do you say we just call D right now *1.0* and move on? It's not
> like D will stop undergoing improvements.

I think it's a two-step process. My opinion:
Announce a 1.0 feature freeze immediately. Don't actually announce DMD
1.0 until the regressions related to protection are fixed. A 1.0
announcement is a major public relations opportunity (one of the biggest
the language will get), it's important to avoid a PR disaster. But
internally, we can view 0.162 as DMD 1.0 RC1.