If D becomes a failure, what's the key reason, do you think?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Sat Jul 8 10:30:42 PDT 2006

David Medlock wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Tesuji wrote:
>>
>>> In article <e8l426$26o3$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Don Clugston says...

>>> Agreed, in addition I also believe that a const-by-default C++ like
>>> reference
>>> type is needed before any container library (like DTL) can be
>>> effectively
>>> written. Currently D is lacking in this area where C++ is strongest.
>>> relying
>>> solely on built-in array / hash is hardly the solution.
>>

>> I don't understand why either of these would *prevent* effective
>> libraries from being built. Neither enables new programming techniques
>> or paradigms, they are just aids to documentation and debugging.
>
> I feel the same.  Libraries either
> a) Are passed allocated objects, in which they are allowed to manipulate
> them.  No need for const there(that I can see).
>
> b) Allocate and return objects/data.  Definitely no need for const there.
>
> Java has tons of libraries, as does Ruby, and Perl, and C, and tons of
> other libraries without const.  No offenses intended, this is bordering
> on an obsession.
>
> With garbage collection, I just don't see the HUGE benefits of const....
> -DavidM

I subscribe to all the other posts made in reply to this one. I'll just add:

 > Java has tons of libraries, as does Ruby, and Perl, and C, and tons of
 > other libraries without const.  No offenses intended, this is bordering
 > on an obsession.

C is not that much of a good language for mid and large scale projects.
Or at least it is not known to have a good library. I don't know about
Perl and Ruby, but in Java, the String class (one of the types where
constness is more important) is immutable by nature.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student