If D becomes a failure, what's the key reason, do you think?

clayasaurus clayasaurus at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 16:40:33 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Kyle Furlong wrote:
>> *Standing Ovation*
>
> Yeah, that's concerned me as well. But it isn't just me trying to make
> it perfect, everyone's got their favorite bug/feature that must get in
> before 1.0.
>
> So what do you say we just call D right now *1.0* and move on? It's not
> like D will stop undergoing improvements.

I agree, I think we should freeze 1.0 now because D as a language has
had a long maturing process already, and I imagine you could be bug
fixing for the next 20 years :-P

This will make two groups of people happy,

#1) People who are waiting for D 1.0 for very large / commercial
products, as well as perhaps a D 1.0 book to start the publicity tour

#2) Bleeding edge folks who are waiting for D 2.0 features

Sometimes, just having a stable unchanging product is major feature in
itself.

Go for it, get the word out there, and good luck!

~ Clay