import concerns (was Re: Historical language survey)

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Sun Jul 9 09:10:46 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> I must contested the proposed named by Walter. "static import" seems a
>> pretty crappy name, there is nothing "static" about it. Do we have to
>> recycle existing keywords? I'm not very much into this phobia of
>> introducing new keywords. You didn't have a problem introducing
>> "scope"... :P
>
> Turns out, "scope" was a problem. It broke a lot of my code - a lot more
> than I'd anticipated.

Remember my Google SoC project proposal? Such a tool has the potencial
to make such changes trivial. Just rename all names which have a name
that has become incompatible(a keyword) to a new name:

   $ dtool @someproj rename *.scope scopefoo

In fact, couldn't DMD easily do something similar, as it already has a
full D parser?

In any case, the good news is I will be working on such a tool, during
the next school year (as my final degree project). :)

Hum, BTW, what lots of code did "scope" break? Phobos? I was under the
impression you didn't have much personal code written in D.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student