Import concerns revisited

John Reimer John_member at pathlink.com
Sun Jul 9 10:26:30 PDT 2006

In article <e8qjkf$2tqc$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

>Ivan Senji wrote:
>> Sure I could use
>>
>> static import m2;
>> alias m2.func f2;
>>
>> And that would be an improvement but it is still longer (and arguably
>> less understandable) than:
>>
>> import m2.func as f2; ;) :)
>
>Let's say you're going to do more than one:
>
>static import m2;
>alias m2.func f2;
>alias m2.abcd f3;
>alias m2.efgh f4;
>
>vs:
>
>import m2.func as f2;
>import m2.abcd as f3;
>import m2.efgh as f4;
>
>Not much of a difference. I'm also not understanding why alias is hard
>to understand.

Well, your example is just showing selective renaming from /one/ module.
Naturally these two are going to be very similar.  Please look at Kris'
suggestion, thoroughly.  The whole system is vastly superior once one starts
referencing selective importing from multiple modules.  The total number of
lines are cut in half verses using static import and alias.

Also, for selective import, I think using "from" instead of "with" looks much
better.

-JJR