Import proposals (Ideas)

jcc7 jcc7_member at pathlink.com
Mon Jul 10 08:30:07 PDT 2006

In article <optcf2eoqc23k2f5 at nrage>, Regan Heath says...

>Sub-thread for ideas.

I'm not thrilled about the prospect of reusing static for yet another purpose,
but I don't think that we need to add "from" or "as" to the keyword list either.

Instead of
"import fooTooLong.reallyTooLong as fooShort;"

we could re-use an operator:
"import fooTooLong.reallyTooLong = fooShort;"

I like it, but it could just be me.

I think someone else suggested this already, but I like it, too:
"import fooTooLong.reallyTooLong alias fooShort;"

Now, I'm really brainstorming...

Or one of these might work:
"import fooTooLong.reallyTooLong fooShort;" (no keyword needed at all)
"import fooTooLong.reallyTooLong for fooShort;"
"import fooTooLong.reallyTooLong out fooShort;"
"import fooTooLong.reallyTooLong in fooShort;"

Or maybe even use one of these to force FQN (static is already used for enough
different things):
"import final fooTooLong.reallyTooLong;"
"import do fooTooLong.reallyTooLong;"
"import void fooTooLong.reallyTooLong;"

Just throwing out ideas...

jcc7