Import concerns revisited

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Mon Jul 10 18:13:27 PDT 2006

John Reimer wrote:
> If you can find something
> equivalent to from/as (which you most certainly haven't), without adopting new
> syntax, maybe we'll bite... but so far, I think using 'with' (or from) and 'as'
> is an excellent contender.

I'll repeat myself here, too <g>. The 'static import' combined with
'alias' has

	*exactly the same semantics*

as 'with' 'as'. The only difference between the proposals is if there
are two statements or one. There is no difference in power or effect.
There is nothing that one can do that the other cannot.

> I think you are missing the point. *sigh*. Read above. Imports/namespaces make
> up what constitutes a D program.  I think it's a very central, critical, and
> special to D.

I certainly agree with that. What I am unconvinced of, however, is that
the *renaming* is central or critical. Note that C, C++, Java, C#, Ruby,
etc., do not support renaming. Only Python seems to. And only D has a
general purpose renaming capability.