Import concerns revisited

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Jul 10 18:29:53 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:

> I certainly agree with that. What I am unconvinced of, however, is that
> the *renaming* is central or critical. Note that C, C++, Java, C#, Ruby,
> etc., do not support renaming. Only Python seems to. And only D has a
> general purpose renaming capability.

It's a valid point.  However, C++ supports namespaces and 'using' as a
means of arbitrarily manipulating scope signifiers and providing short
prefixes if the supplied one is too long (though it typically isn't,
since C++ does not have a 1-1 mapping between file name/location and
FQN).  And C is simply too antiquated/low-level to consider.  I'm not
aware of how Java or C# operate in this context however.  I don't
suppose anyone with more experience could comment?

Sean