Import concerns revisited

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Jul 10 18:38:53 PDT 2006

kris wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Dave wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure what exactly Kris said, but imports are ubiquitous.
>>
>>  > Not used as much as loops of course, but they are used in every
>> program.
>>
>> Yes, they are ubiquitous. But the renaming of imported symbols? I'm
>> not convinced that is at all ubiquitous, or that it is very desirable
>> in any but unusual cases.
>
> ??
>
> I suspect you are very confused about what is actually being asked for.
> Is that the case? Perhaps you'd like to note what it is that you think
> is being proposed?

I'm beginning to feel like the focus is slipping a bit as well.
However, the current issue of contention seems to be whether or not
aliasing package/module names to something a bit more concise will be a
common practice.  I assert that it will be, particularly if D gets
something akin to "static import" where names must be fully-qualified.
But the only crystal ball I can offer are the few nontrivial libraries
that have been written for D (such as Mango) combined with experience
and a general sense of how I expect to do things in the future.

>> The discussion is now about whether two statements should be combined
>> into one or not. The power is the same.
>
> Again, please refer to Sean's post from yesterday.

As this thread has become quite extensive, I believe this is the post
Kris is referring to:

http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/39893

Sean