Import concerns revisited

kris foo at bar.com
Tue Jul 11 04:16:29 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> kris wrote:
>
>> The same thing happened with Associative Arrays: you didn't bother to
>> solicit opinion on either of the two occasions when it was changed;
>> and then subsequently complained when people still found issue with
>> you alternate changes. It's still not right to this day. I see the
>> same pattern here. And for what?
>

> I did implement it according to the suggestions - and then the people
> who made those suggestions had issue with it. So I take issue(!) with
> your statement that I did it in a vacuum. I preferred the original
> design, and the change caused me a lot of work updating things like
> dmdscript which extensively used AA's.

Well, the last time you changes things, you may recall there were a
flurry of posts saying "huh? what the heck happened here?". You
subsequently made a post noting how nobody liked AA even after you
changed it twice. I was present on both occasions, and it sure seemed
like you made the changes in a vacuum. On both ocassions.

>> Anyone would think we were trying to sabotage the language,
>

> Nobody thinks that. We are all trying to get the best design for D
> possible. That doesn't mean we are all going to agree on what the best
> design is. There's no cause to label a difference of opinion as
> sabotage, or any of the other epithets bandied about in this
> disagreement (or some of the previous ones).

It's far beyond a difference of opinion, Walter. Just look at the swell
of experienced developers here literally begging for you to make a small
change. Instead of listening carefully with an open mind, you project a
closed and vacant shell. I think you'd have to agree that this is one
serious issue.

Why do you simply stonewall it? The projection is as though you're not
even open to discussion.