Criteria for 1.0 (was: Re: If D becomes a failure, what's the key reason, do you think?)

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 06:45:38 PDT 2006

Tony wrote:
<snip>
> Walters post raises the issue of exactly what criteria should be used to
> determine when D reaches a state suitable for a 1.0 release.
>
> My personal take is that it should be a 1.0 release when Walter believes
> that all of the language changes which are expected to break existing code
> have been made.  For example, if he expects to add any further reserved
> words, reserve them (even if not presently implemented) prior to the 1.0
> release.  Also, any change which alters the semantics of an existing feature
> and thus breaks existing code should be made prior to 1.0.
<snip>

Yes, that's part of it.  AISI the prerequisites for 1.0 readiness are:
(a) a clear, complete and consistent spec
(b) a fully documented and reasonably clean standard library
(c) all known serious compiler bugs and most not-so-serious compiler
bugs fixed
(d) as you say, sufficient stability that any language or standard
library changes are unlikely to break existing code
(e) agreement among all of us that the above have been achieved

Stewart.