Import concerns revisited

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Tue Jul 11 08:08:08 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> kris wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:

>>> Let's say you're going to do more than one:
>>>
>>> static import m2;
>>> alias m2.func f2;
>>> alias m2.abcd f3;
>>> alias m2.efgh f4;
>>>
>>> vs:
>>>
>>> import m2.func as f2;
>>> import m2.abcd as f3;
>>> import m2.efgh as f4;
>>>
>>> Not much of a difference. I'm also not understanding why alias is
>>> hard to understand.
>>

>> You've seen the requested syntax for this option, Walter. Let's
>> revisit it again:
>>
>> # with m2 import func, abcd, efgh;
>
> The equivalent would be:
>
>     with m2 import func as f2, abcd as f3, efgh as f4;

Just curious, why not:

import from m2 func as f2, abcd as f3, efgh as f4;
or
import with m2 func as f2, abcd as f3, efgh as f4;

because then it is more consistent both for D (all imports start with
'import') and in pure english language terms (starts with a verb instead
of a preposition like other C-lineage languages do with their
/include/import/using).