If D becomes a failure, what's the key reason, do you think?

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Tue Jul 11 10:10:47 PDT 2006

In article <e90ai5$26va$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...

>Mike Parker wrote:
><snip>
>> Ah, so that's what you're after with this question - another platform
>> for you to spout off about how D should be open source, as you have
>> (repeatedly) in the past. Drop it, already.
>
>What does it mean for a _language_ to be open source, exactly?
>
>Stewart.

Heh.. good point.

To hazard a guess, I'd say that a language would be open in spirit if the
specification is available without restriction, and any implementation of that
specification (aside from the reference implementation) is unencumbered by any
patents or license restrictions.

But to call it 'open _source_' is kind of a misnomer. ;)

- EricAnderton at yahoo