An appeal

kris foo at bar.com
Tue Jul 11 12:48:51 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> kris wrote:
>> Anyone would think we were trying to sabotage the language,
>

> Nobody thinks that. We are all trying to get the best design for D
> possible. That doesn't mean we are all going to agree on what the best
> design is. There's no cause to label a difference of opinion as
> sabotage, or any of the other epithets bandied about in this
> disagreement (or some of the previous ones).

You know, Walter, I'm more than willing to apologize profusely if you
honestly feel you've been undeservedly slighted. And will do so
earnestly and sincerely.

On the same token, there's little point in me denying that your approach
here, as in previous similar discourse, is frustrating to the extreme;
to the point where it often appears there's a notable lack of integrity,
despite the presence of various other attributes which might otherwise
be conducive to progress. Some will quietly agree with that, and some
will disagree. Doesn't matter much.

What does matter (to me and probably to most of us) is the success of D
in the one place where we can happily use it on a daily basis: where we
get paid to use it. A small percentage of the D supporters go out of
their way in order to help make that happen, Yet, you appear content to
flatly dismiss a collective request for what seems to be a minor change.

Makes zero sense, and when my frustration with this aspect boils over
then it's not exactly a big surprise to you or anyone else. You and I
have a history of such exchanges, and that doesn't help either. However,
it is more than thoroughly disappointing to see the community opinion
dismissed in such a manner. Makes it harder to retain a level of faith
in the genuine integrity of the overall situation; try as one might.

I'd like to gently suggest you place more value in those supporting D
with their sustained efforts. Much more than zero. They are, after all,
the very people who will be the most profound evangelists. That's not to
say you should be swayed by individual opinion. Not at all. On the other
hand, taking the position that you alone have the right answers while a
significant group of experienced developers are united (with zero
detractors!) in a request for a minor yet far-reaching positive change,
is one that tends to shut the door on entirely the wrong people.

You've labeled this a "difference of opinion". If so, it would appear to
be between you and a proactive, motivated, and valuable segment of the
community.

Personally, I have to wonder what compelling reason there is to continue
ploughing so much effort into helping make D a success, behind the
scenes, when it appears to have so little value in your eyes. I'm far
from being the first to feel this way, and probably won't be the last.
Naturally one can hardly expect you to be able to provide such a reason,
but I will urge you again to place some merit in the experience and
knowledge of this group. As individuals, none of us are infallible.