the point of selective importing

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Tue Jul 11 16:40:03 PDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:20:39 +0300, Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:

> In my
> experience if your having more than 1-2 conflicting members, you're
> doing something wrong.

That might be true if all the modules you use are under your direct
control. However, the times I've had name clashes have been due to using
libraries written by other people who, independently, decided to use the
same name. Thus in my code, I am forced to disambiguate them.

Consider the simple situation in Phobos

 std.string.find
 std.regexp.find
 internal.gc.gcx.find

then add the various other 'find' members in external libraries.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)