the point of selective importing

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Wed Jul 12 00:59:26 PDT 2006

Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> I believe I might have been a bit rash here, but I got somewhat pissed
>> pouring over all the posts for the last few days. I will therefore
>> restate some of my thoughts in a calmer manner:
>>
>> If we for a second ignore the language issues chatted about recently,
>> most people agree that D is missing libraries to be able to really
>> compete with other languages. It is therefore unfathomable to me why you
>> Walter don't actively try to make it easy to create good libraries in D.
>> Libraries that can be made stable, failsafe and predictable. You have
>> said many enough times that D is different enough to need different
>> solutions to problems already solved in other languages. Why is it then
>> that you seemingly refuse to listen to those that have tried to solve
>> these problems in D over the years? Those that have found that the
>> language features in D probably need to be refined to not only make
>> libraries in D possible, but fun to write, fun to use, safe to use and
>> with a predictable usage pattern.
>
> I think you're a bit too harsh on Walter now. In the recent two week or
> so Walter has fixed many important things like most of the import bugs.
> The only thing left are:
>
>  * some people thing that imports should be private by default
>    - changing this would break some old code, but does it matter?
>     (statistically private imports are much more common)
>
>  * most of the people want an additional safe import syntax that allows
> importing to a custom namespace.
>
>  * some general show-stopper bugs
>
> The first two of these are luckily easy to fix. We're not far from 1.0.
> If were not in a hurry, I would like the interface things to be fixed
> (that double lookup implementation) too before reaching stable. Then D
> will be perfect for real production level use.

Ah, maybe I was still too harsh, but I've been around for a while, and we're
not talking new issues. That it really is mostly all about easy fixes,
don't make it any more sensible to me that they haven't already been made,
or why he keep suggesting fixes so cumbersome that noone will use them.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net