If D becomes a failure, what's the key reason, do you think?

Mike Parker aldacron71 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 01:54:36 PDT 2006

Brad Roberts wrote:

> D meaning DMD can't be the case since the DMD compiler is most
> definitely NOT open source.  Parts of it are licensed for use in an open
> way, but not all of it.

Does that really matter? Why so pedantic? In a lot of conversations you
could substitute 'DMD' in place of 'D' and it makes sense. I don't care
if it's open source or not. Java wasn't for a long time (though it kind
of is now), but it still didn't matter to people who said 'Java' when
they meant 'JDK'. I'm not saying I agree with it, that it's right,
wrong, or anything. All that matters is what's in someone's head when
they type 'D'. Whether you agree with it or not doesn't make it untrue.