Criteria for 1.0 (was: Re: If D becomes a failure, what's the key reason, do you think?)

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Wed Jul 12 05:50:40 PDT 2006

Tim Starling wrote:

[Good points snipped for brevity]

> Why is Walter the only person who ever fixes bugs in the compiler? This
> seems to slow the whole project down. Why not move the free frontend
> source to a versioning system and give 10 people write access? Then
> Walter can produce DMD binaries from the improved multi-developer source
> code, and everyone else can produce GDC binaries from the same source.
> Maybe some interfaces would have to be cleaned up, but I would think it
> would be well worth the effort, in the long term.

A compiler perhaps more than 95% of the rest of the software out there
is subject to "a change in one thing could break several others". The
other part is that this is not like GCC C or C++ where there is an
agreed upon and very detailed language spec; the D spec is still
evolving here and there as it needs to right now.

As to compiler development productivity: Walter makes a new release
every month or so on average, most of them with either several bug fixes
and/or a new feature or two. I don't see that from any other compiler
vendor out there, OSS or not :)