Import status

Lucas Goss lgoss007 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 07:13:40 PDT 2006

There seems to be some overlap of issues, so maybe a collection of
issues and resolutions would help focus the discussion? I'm just listing
what appears to be suggested (and what I remember), so feel free to add
or correct where necessary. And maybe the wiki could even help
facilitate this?

problems:
   -Name collisions local (owned by programmer)
   -Name collisions external (caused by outside libraries)
   -Too wordy (causing inconsistency and maintainability problems)
   -Default gotchas (cause problems or make maintainability harder)

solutions:

-static import:
   -tries to solve problem of name collisions, requiring FQN's

-alias currently:
   -tries to solve problem of being too wordy, allowing a shorter name

-selective-importing:
   -tries to solve problem of name collisions

-prefix-importing proposed (import std.string alias str)
   -tries to solve problem of name collisions

-private invisible (not visible to importing modules)
   -tries to solve problem of name collisions by hiding modules
   -tries to make private more intuitive

-private by default
   -tries to solve the problem of name collisions
   -tries to solve the problem of default gotchas

Lucas