An appeal

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Wed Jul 12 12:36:51 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:

> kris wrote:
>> Personally, I have to wonder what compelling reason there is to continue
>> ploughing so much effort into helping make D a success, behind the
>> scenes, when it appears to have so little value in your eyes.
>
> Language design is hardly cut and dried. There is rarely a right and a
> wrong answer. There are only benefits and costs, and those vary from
> application to application, and peoples' opinions of them vary as well.
>
> You and I have different opinions about how certain things should work.
> Nothing more should be read into it than that.

But you would have to agree with the fact that on this matter and quite a
few others, more people tend to agree with Kris rather than you?

I am very happy that you seem to go for "private by default", but if you
don't actually give us a real solution to the symbol collision mess
(without using those static or alias), we are after all seeing a rare
agreement in this NG that your proposed solution is more or less worse than
what we already have, I suspect the discussions will flare again with even
more intensity. Cooling down the discussion don't mean that we should
implement a bad solution. Private imports by default are just minor
nitpicks compared to the namespace collision problems.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net