An appeal

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Wed Jul 12 15:13:34 PDT 2006

Chris Miller wrote:
> I thought it would be fine just importing inside a struct like so:
> struct n { import x.y.z; }  to achieve the same thing, but it turns out,
> this style importing is frowned upon and can cause major issues. Perhaps
> it's a bug that should be resolved? or something that should be forbidden?

There were bugs with it, but were resolved. It's there because:

1) the language should be as consistent as possible. C++ is loaded up
with weird special case rules that serve to make the language very hard
to master.

2) features can often be combined in unexpected and fruitful ways; we
should be careful to not close the door on that unless absolutely necessary.