Criteria for 1.0 (was: Re: If D becomes a failure, what's the key reason, do you think?)

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Jul 14 08:48:07 PDT 2006

Bruno Medeiros wrote:

> Shouldn't it be "language runtime" or "D runtime"? The runtime is *made*
> by the compiler, but it is the runtime *of* D, not the runtime of the
> compiler.

Probably.  I just use the term "compiler runtime" to indicate which
portion of the code it represents, as Ares splits it out into three
segments: the portion of the runtime that is compiler-specific, the
garbage collector, and any user-visible code that is required to
complete the package (which involves some thread code for use by the GC,
at the very least).  I would consider the combination of these three
components to be the "language runtime," as they are all required for a
D program to run.

Sean