Import concerns revisited

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Jul 14 11:49:25 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> True. But what I think goes too far is requiring hello world to look like:
>
>   import std.stdio;
>
>   public void main() {
>      std.stdio.writefln("Hello World!");
>   }
>
> It's not like it's wrong to design D that way, it's just off-putting.

It's like going to the doctor, and he tells you you should eat whole
wheat bread instead of white bread. Of course, he's right. His reasoning
is sound, and backed by solid scientific evidence. But you just like
white bread better, and since the grocery stores are well stocked with
white bread, it obviously sells well. Any baker wanting to sell bread
should pay attention <g>.

But the stores also have a line of whole wheat, for those that are
willing to eat what's good for them.