Lack of `outer` keyword makes inner class dup implossible

S. dnewsgr at mephit.kicks-ass.org
Sat Jul 15 00:50:11 PDT 2006

On 2006-07-14 21:10:41 -0700, "Derek Parnell" <derek at psych.ward> said:

> Ok, assuming that 'nested' and 'inner' are synonymous in this
> discussion,  it appears that their main purpose is to provide scope
> limitation. That  is, the functionality provided by inner
> classes/functions is restricted  to, and there by only relevant to, the
> containing class/function.
>
> I use inner functions this way because I can see their utility, but can
>  someone supply a good inner class example? As far as I can see, an
> instance of an inner class only makes sense in the context of its
> parent  class and is thus reliant on the 'outer' class for relevancy.
> I'm having  trouble visualizing where this might be a Cool Thing(TM).

I'm writing a Sudoku solver.  I have a Cell class, an individual cell
is only relevant in the context of the board.  It makes various things
a Cell might want to do easier having access to information about the
board it lives on.  I could pass it a board instance when I create it
like I did originally, but I saw nested classes and thought it was a
nifty feature.

-S