Import conflict resoultion

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Sat Jul 15 05:44:14 PDT 2006

Regan Heath wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:29:59 +0300, Georg Wrede <georg.wrede at nospam.org>
> wrote:
> <snip>
>> Out of these, I'd want #4 and #5 combined.
>>
>> Except that I don't understand the following:
>>
>>  > 5:
>>  > Allow selective import of the exact symbol which is required.
>>  > import std.string.find; //exact syntax may vary
>>  >
>>  > ..find(.. //calls std.string.find
>>  >
>>  > No symbols from std.string would be present in the "secondary
>> namespace".
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > Opinions/pros/cons on the various solutions
>>  > -------------------------------------------
>>  >
>>  > 5:
>>  >  - PRO,Solves the import conflict for the intended symbol.
>>  >  - CON,Does NOT solve future symbol conflicts.
>>
>> It was stated that "No symbols from std.string would be present in the
>> "secondary namespace". Therefore I don't understand the CON argument
>> "Does NOT solve future symbol conflicts".
>
> I guess it can be argued either way. #5 does avoid future symbol
> collisions (from std.string) but only by virtue of importing no other
> symbols. In other words the cost of avoiding a collision is not having
> access to other symbols. So, when you do want more access you have to
> specify each and every symbol. This solution is too micro-management for
> my liking.

I'm updating the Wiki then. The CON for #5 is not that it "Does NOT
solve future symbol conflicts." but rather that is it very verbose when
importing many symbols from the same module.

I've also added my proposal of a universal selective import.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student