Proposal: Make imports private by default

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Sat Jul 15 11:40:31 PDT 2006

Following the recent generalized discussion about imports, and the entry
in the wiki of proposals of new kinds of imports, and also the idea I've
mentioned before of using the wiki to keep track of proposals, I have
launched this thread as the primary point of discussion for a very well
known and familiar proposal:

== Make imports private by default ==

-- Description --
All import statements which do not have a "protection" attribute should
default to private, instead of public.

-- Rationale (PROS) --
It is argued that private imports constitute the vast majority of
imports in D code, and as such, for the sake of brevity, they should be
the default.

==========

I have created a wiki entry for this proposal:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DCP_DefaultPrivateImports

I also tried, with that proposal, to create and experiment with a set of
  ideas for creating and managing proposals(the D Change Proposal). This
is discussed in another thread.

Use this thread for discussion of this proposal. If you think there is
anything relevant to say (or re-say), do so. And do place your
vote/opinion on the wiki entry. :)

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student