Proposal: Make imports private by default

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 23:44:51 PDT 2006

"Bruno Medeiros" <brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com> wrote in message
news:e9bcof$1iki$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> Following the recent generalized discussion about imports, and the entry
> in the wiki of proposals of new kinds of imports, and also the idea I've
> mentioned before of using the wiki to keep track of proposals, I have
> launched this thread as the primary point of discussion for a very well
> known and familiar proposal:
>
> == Make imports private by default ==
>
> -- Description --
> All import statements which do not have a "protection" attribute should
> default to private, instead of public.
>

> -- Rationale (PROS) --
> It is argued that private imports constitute the vast majority of imports
> in D code, and as such, for the sake of brevity, they should be the
> default.
>
> ==========
>
> I have created a wiki entry for this proposal:
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DCP_DefaultPrivateImports
>
> I also tried, with that proposal, to create and experiment with a set of
> ideas for creating and managing proposals(the D Change Proposal). This is
> discussed in another thread.
>
> Use this thread for discussion of this proposal. If you think there is
> anything relevant to say (or re-say), do so. And do place your
> vote/opinion on the wiki entry. :)
>

> --
> Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D

These proposals are piling higher and deeper.  What is this accomplishing?
Hasn't this topic been beaten half to death?  Why do more proposals need to
be pushed forward?  What does this "voting" accomplish? This is getting
altogether silly!  The voting ritual is something oft repeated in this
newsgroup; and unfortunately, it continues to promote the false sense that
the community is actually changing D.  Please stop this.  It might as well
be called propaganda! It's a waste of time beyond giving everybody that warm
fuzzy feeling about improving D.  Port D code or make D libraries: you'll
get that fuzzy feeling and actually be doing something productive all at
once.

-JJR