Proposal: Make imports private by default

John Reimer John_member at pathlink.com
Sun Jul 16 12:44:05 PDT 2006

In article <e9dkp8$pmo$2 at digitaldaemon.com>, Bruno Medeiros says...

>> These proposals are piling higher and deeper.  What is this
>> accomplishing? Hasn't this topic been beaten half to death?  Why do more
>> proposals need to be pushed forward?  What does this "voting"
>> accomplish? This is getting altogether silly!  The voting ritual is
>> something oft repeated in this newsgroup; and unfortunately, it
>> continues to promote the false sense that the community is actually
>> changing D.  Please stop this.  It might as well be called propaganda!
>> It's a waste of time beyond giving everybody that warm fuzzy feeling
>> about improving D.  Port D code or make D libraries: you'll get that
>> fuzzy feeling and actually be doing something productive all at once.
>>
>> -JJR
>
>I'm well aware, and I'm sure other voters are, that the "votes" are
>merely representative of one's opinion, and hold no real decision power.
>Walter holds all the decision power. That's actually why I preferred the
>term "rating" over "voting".
>If anyone thinks this proposals are to give "the comunity the power to
>change D" then that person is the one who is making a false assumption,
>and "promoting the false sense" of that, not me.

Compare the above statement to cigarette industry that might say:

"I'm sure smokers are aware of the health risks created by our products.  If
anyone things smoking is a benign activity, well that's their own fault.  We
take no responsibility for their addictions.  Our PR and advertisements are just
the way business is done.  It's our client's fault for maintaining that false
sense of security."

"Incidentally, we prefer to call it 'relaxation therapy' rather than 'smoking'.
It makes everybody feel so much more at ease."

My point: while indeed the smoker must take responsibility, please realize that
the one promoting is not without fault; in fact, I believe their actions should
be considered quite insidious.

-JJR