General Problems for GC'ed Applications?

Andrew Fedoniouk news at terrainformatica.com
Sun Jul 23 12:50:41 PDT 2006

"Walter Bright" <newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:ea0e80$bkg$2 at digitaldaemon.com...
> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>> Yes, D does not allow you to use smart pointers/reference counting
>> (as a memory management technic) but this is not a principal
>> problem and I beleive will be implemented in D one day.
>
> You can do reference counting in D programming, you just have to do it
> manually (I've been doing it manually for years, it isn't that bad).

It is about smart pointers - automatic reference counting.

I mean ideal thing shall allow automatic GC *and* automatic RC.
Both as first class citizens.

Currently you can do in D automatic GC but manual RC and
in C++ automatic RC and manual GC.

This situation is not doing anyone of them significantly better, at
least for tasks in my area of competence.

I am personally using both - GC and RC so
I am making decisions (C++ or D) based on different criterias
(next step in decision making graph).

The problem is that market is dichotomic now: either do
everything non-manageable (RC) either manageable (GC).
But not both. (That ugly attempt named MC++ is just
a design disaster, IMO).

Having tool allowing to use best of both worlds will
put such tool on the next step of the ladder.

Andrew.