Is D 0.163 D 1.0?

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Sun Jul 23 16:50:43 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> I think the title says it all.

Sounds good.

How about declaring 0.163 RC1, taking 2 a weeks "no-touching-computers"
leave, and trying to get some distance to all this. Go talk with folks,
spend time with the kids and wife (if she's still around?), let your
sub-conscious mind wind down, perceive the world. (No joke, seriously.)

I think D is as good as we need it to be right now.

When you come back, folks will have made some progress with the
libraries, new thoughts on how to tackle the publicity issues, packaging
of DMD, and hopefully some really novel ideas, will have emerged.

And there's still time to lay out the groundwork before September.
(Early September being the time that defines what folks will be doing
for the next 9 months.)

As I see it, there are two areas where D outshines about any other
language: the academia (both research and education), and writing
mathematical and scientific applications. (Fortan is clunky and passe,
C++ can kill a good scientist, Pascal is out-dated, interpreted
languages are just too slow, and the Lisp-ish compiled languages are too
hard to understand anyway for the casual academic, who is mainly
interested in pursuing his own research.)

We might have some ideas for inroads when you come back.